Managing the Real Time Sales Demo Source
A demo data source called Real Time Sales (RTS) is included as part of the Zoomdata installation package. This data generator simulates a real-time data stream; allowing users to interact with and explore Zoomdata's capabilities without the need to connect to a data source. However, this demo source, by default, is not available in the Zoomdata Client and must be manually activated. This topic walks you through how to enable and disable the demo source.
|A known issue with real-time streaming sources such as this demo source exists. If such sources are left enabled for an extended period of time, 'Out of Memory' errors may occur in the Zoomdata Server. To avoid this problem, disable such sources when not in use.|
Before you can establish a connection from Zoomdata to RTS, a data source configuration for the demo source needs to be enabled and set up. See Enabling the Real Time Sales Demo Source and Setting Up the Real Time Sales Demo Source . To manage the availability for RTS, see Managing Connectors.
After the connector has been set up, you can create data source configurations that specify the necessary connection information and identify the data you want to use. See Managing Data Source Configurations for more information. After data sources are configured, they can be used to create dashboards and charts from your data. See Creating Dashboards and Creating Charts.
Zoomdata Feature Support
The Real Time Demo Source supports all Zoomdata features, except for the following features:
- Group by UNIX time
To enable the Real Time Sales demo source, use an automated script that activates the demo source in the Zoomdata Client. This script, labeled
, is included as part of the installation package. However, the script needs to be run from the Linux prompt, so administrative access to your Linux server is necessary.
More specifically, running the automated RTS script will do the following (in the Zoomdata Client):
- Add the RTS connector server details in the Zoomdata Client (using port 8108).
- Define the connection type for the RTS demo source.
- Create the connection and generate the RTS icon in the Data Source page.
To set up the RTS demo source, take the following steps:
- Log out of the Zoomdata Client and close the browser window.
- Access the Linux prompt and log into your Zoomdata Server (via Secure Shell or SSH).
- From your Linux prompt, run the RTS script:
Enabling RTS After Upgrading Zoomdata
If you are upgrading your Zoomdata Server to the current release version, that version's RTS demo source is deleted during the process and the current version is installed. You need to activate RTS following the same steps outlined above.
Disabling the Real Time Sales Demo Data Source
To disable the Real Time Sales demo source, do the following:
- Log in as the Supervisor.
- Select the Connectors tab.
- Go to the Connectors list in the bottom half of the Connectors page.
- Locate the RTS connector in the Connectors list.
- Clear the checkbox in the Enabled column associated with the RTS connector.